Here Women Talk

We talk about many things here on HWT's diccussion board, art, movies etc, so I thought I'd ask about books.

Since I became more actively involved on the internet (delving into both the lighter and darker side of life), the past few years I have found authors I now read that I otherwise wouldn't have read. Since I am an avid reader I thought I'd share a few of my favs here. Afterall, I have always heard that writers need to read lots of books and watch lots of movies. It's inspiring for sure! I do write my personal thoughts of cases I read about for my blog and have always loved writing short pieces but more so, I love to read. However, it's the authors I have discovered from listening to radio shows and joining forums that have given me more pleasurable hours of read than some of the older authors I've followed and read. This is books of those authors that write of death.

But for the Internet I wouldn't have known of:

Stacy Dittrich: Her fictional Cee Cee Gallagher books keep me on edge of the seat, daring me to not turn the page while I hold my breath in fear of her safety. Stacy as has been on the edge of the criminal mind and knows how to make fiction feel real. Want to know her true story as a police officer, read 'Stumbling Along The Beat'

Susan Murphy Milano: With seemingly unending knowledge she uses her pen to share words that (due her from first hand experience) can carry an abused person of domestic violence through to safety - if only they would read, pay attention and apply. She renames the word Fear-

Pat Brown: Pat is a criminal profiler and very opinionated ( I think that's why I like her profiler book so much) She isn't afraid to speak her mind. Her book has helped me understand more of how the criminal mind can work- scary as it may be.

Known before internet and FB consumed people's lives:

Diane Fanning: I knew of Diane's books but (to be truthful) wasn't particulary interested because I didn't wan't to see real life death 'that close up'. Her True Crime books rips into the dark shadows of a criminal mind and rattles the brain with their realities while giving the victim(s) a voice. Over the last few years, I have come to love reading Fanning! Although, I personally don't read her before falling asleep at night. Too many real life images float in the brain! I suggest a couple hours in the afternoon so you'll have time to relax and push all the pictures of evil away before tuning in at night. Yes. She is that good.

Jonathan Kellerman: Yes. I knew of him before, and have been a long time fan of his fiction, even before my internet days. And still read all his books. He uses his knowlege as a psychologist to create unimaginable sins that sets the reader on course through the clouds of dark souls which Milo and Alex Delaware must walk, sometimes not so softly.

Now for the softer touch on death:

Christina Lufkin: Her book delves into death in a new way, bringing truths of her Hospice experiences to life, sometimes creating tearful sadness and yet giving smiles that made me feel an inexplicable peacefulness.

Todd Burpo: Todd's book about his son's plight after emergency surgery and the trip he made to Heaven. This book is one nobody's bookshelf should be without whether its an ebook-shelf or not! We all learn a lesson from Colton's story that will reach deep into the heart and make you believe.

I could add more to this list but thought 'Okay, enough already'! So I will let it sit with just this few without including some different genres such as books on art, nature, and psychic books- numerolgy etc. Who do you read and why?

Views: 64

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you, Shirley!  I'm glad you've enjoyed my true crime books.  If you would like some bedtime reading, you can try my fiction series featuring Lt. Lucinda Pierce.  I've got four books in that series now--with a fifth one written and waiting for publication.  And it is all a product of my sick mind--not real news stories.  :-)
Diane, Thank you for commenting here and reminding me of the Lucinda Pierce books. I've purchased couple and have them on my kindle now. I will read them this week. :)

Thank you for your kind words! Naste'

Thanks, Shirl! The internet has been a wonderful way to connect, and I'm so happy to have the opportunity to connect with you.  You've been a great contributor to the well being of others via your blogs, and by promoting through social networks.  By the way, you'll love Lucinda Pierce!

Books I've enjoyed lately:

South of Superior by Ellen Airgood - A 35 year-old woman abandoned as a young child returns to the Upper Penisula of Michigan where the mother that dumped her came from. She explores the past, reinvents herself and ends up renovating a historic hotel. Much local small town color - I loved all the hard scrabble crusty UP characters..

Dinner with Anna Karenina by Gloria Goldreich. 6 women in NYC and their monthly book club, where they find much resonance in both the books and each other.

Happy Now? by Katherine Shonk. Claire Kessler, artist and home stager, receovers after her husband's suicide. A very believable portrait of denial, acceptance, hurting and healing.

Before I Go to Sleep by S J Watson. Amnesia, which can be a cliched premise, is not hokey in this suspenseful thriller. Every day Christine wakes up not recognizing her husband or home until Dr. Nash suggests she keep a daily journal, which she keeps hidden from her husband. (British)

Summer's Child by Diane Chamberlain. An 11 year-old girl (Daria) finds a newborn baby on the beach in Kill Devil Hills, NC. Her Catholic family adopts the baby. 20 years later, the host of an investigative TV show who was once best friends with Daria returns to KDH determined to solve the mystery of Shelley's parentage. Lots of red herrings but good escapist romantic suspense.

I am a retired librarian with a life long addiction to good fiction.

Also want to mention Laura Lippman - she writes mysteries and thrillers usually set in Baltimore; I just started The Most Dangerous Thing; so far, so good!

I love reading Diane Chamberlain's books and have read many of them.   This week I dedicated my reading to four Lucinda Pierce books by Diane Fanning.

The Trophy Exchange; Mistaken Identity, Punish The Deed; Twisted Reason.  They are absolutely phenomenal with constant action. You barely have time to understand how she gets herself out one volatile situation before she is involved in another. Lucinda is a fast thinker and I really like that in a fictional cop character. Usually the middle chapters of books are slow and fact filling readying for the climax, but Fannings' Pierce books middle chapters are fast and exciting. No down time.

Wow.  Thank you, Shirley.  I am so glad you enjoyed the books.

Diane

I have tried to  read a couple unknown (to me) authors the past few days, but in both books I lost focus after 3rd chapter. Tried a couple times to go back to them and finish reading. But it wasn't happening. I won't name them here just say, I hate it when that happens! I downloaded 'Rapture of Omega' by Stacy Dittrich and reading it now.

I'm a Christian reader and writer of Christian crime fiction. I love a classic murder mystery, detective stories and romantic suspense with lots of action scenes.

My favorite authors are J. Mark Bertrand (Roland March series), Robert Liparulo (Comes A Horseman and Germ), Steven James (Patrick Bowers series), Mark Young (Revenge), Sibella Giorello (Raleigh Harmon series), James Scott Bell (Ty Buchanan series). A Christian cop story writer I've just discovered is Janice Cantore (The Kevlar Heart).

My novels are historical romantic suspense (with tons of action) set on the south shore of Long Island, NY in 1946/47. BURNING HEARTS is the first in the series and GOODBYE NOEL will release December 15th.

RSS

Join Here Women Talk Social Fan Page Check Us Out On Twitter Follow Us On YouTube Read Here Women Talk Feed

HWT Associates

© 2014   Here Women Talk managed by Zeus Media Network

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service